Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Read Dead Redemption Review

Click Here To Play Red Dead Redemption For Only $9 On Release Date!

When I first got this copy I was thrilled because I was told nearly 3 weeks ago that I could not get a review copy for various reasons. However I checked my mail today and saw a manilla envelope I had a hunch of what was in it after talking to Patrick last week.

Now I first want to say that I only had the chance to play this game for around 13 hours. With that being said let me go ahead and tell everyone that this was worth the wait and is living up to the hype so far in almost every way. I will have more on that later though.






When the game first opens you get a sense for just how huge the world is. Much like GTA4 you realize a lot of work into making this world living and breathing. I must admit the first thing I did when I played the game was run and found a train track.

I waited for around 10-15 minutes and a train came by. I tried to get on the train but failed to realize how that was done!! Well the train went past and I decided to wait for another train but it took over 10 more minutes and I decided to leave and see what I could do in the nearest town. When walking I ran into a man who claimed that he was chopping wood the night before and some bandits jumped him. He told me that if I would help him he would give me a fistful of cash. I declined and shot him right in the head! Yes thats right, I decided early on in the game to play the role of the bandit and boy is it fun!

Thats another thing I want to touch on in this game. The towns are a breath of fresh air and seem alive unlike GTA4. Don't get me wrong, GTA4 had its points where things felt alive with the new physics system but nothing like RDD. What makes RDD seem so alive is that people actually have things to say and do.

I know this is all scripted but it does not feel that way at all. You will see NPC's talking to one another and carrying items. Not in a stale way like Fable though, there is a good sense of life in this game.

Now after I left the first town I decided to go out on foot and see what kind of trouble I could get into. I ran into some sort of animal (it was dark so I could not be certain) and I was killed within only a matter of seconds after shooting and missing the beast. Next I decided it was time to go and rob my first bank! This is when I really knew the game was something special!

I walked into the bank and it was busy. Unlike GTA where the insides are like cardboards these areas actually beam with life. Simply all I did was take out a gun and shoot the woman working the counter! Wow everyone started screaming and one guy even started punching me. It is something you truely need to see as in how realistic the actions on the NPC's were. At first I thought this was a scripted event but in all actuality I robbed many more places and the reactions were "random" but very realistic.

After the first bank robbery I decided to run on foot but the law came after me fast and took me down. One thing I do not like is that when you get caught doing something and even do time it seems your next time in the same town the law is still after you. But this goes away after the first visit but is still annoying and unrealistic.

In all honesty this isn't a huge problem. The game is simply amazing in this aspect! If this sounds like an interesting time with the game then you are correct! The best thing though is there are so many things you can do in this game and it does not feel likeless like many other games out there. If there's one thing I can stress about this game is the fact that it feels so life like. You make your own stories unlike other games that claim this like GTA, morrowind and Fallout. I admit that Fallout was pretty good at feeling alive but not near as good as RDD.

The main story of the game I have not completed yet. But in all honesty its good but not great. Ok let me explain! The story is right up there with some of the best, but it is nothing ground breaking. The missions are good to great! There was one mission where you and your gang go after this other gang that is epic. I don't want to put a spoiler in here but the mission last over an hour and is one of the best I have seen in a game to date. But then there's the standard missions where you go to point A then to point B etc. Thankfully there's not too many of these but they are around.

The point here is the story is good but what makes it great are the characters you meet along the way. It's almost like an interactive movie in a sense. Although the story is detailed and you fall in love with some great characters it's not the meat of the game in my opinion. The meat of the game is just exploring the world and running into countless random events. Im talking about this game is packed with random encounters that add up to a ton of fun.

I wish I could talk about the story more but the truth is I have not been focused on that yet. I don't want to give too much away because I will spoil it for some. But there is something early on during the game which blew me away. It was a random event but to such a detail that im praying there are more scattered throughout the world. This is not the complete review by any means, I will post the completed review within the next few days. Until then I will be happily riding one of the best games I played in my life. Yes, overall so far it's that good!!!! Stay tuned for more :)

1 comment:

  1. What was the random event that was so epic :D
    I need to know

    ReplyDelete